Oceans Beyond Piracy (OBP) is a project of the One Earth Future Foundation, a privately funded and independent non-profit organization located in Colorado, USA.
OBP was launched in 2010 with the intent to develop a response to maritime piracy through:
- Mobilizing stakeholders from the maritime community
- Developing public-private partnerships to promote long-term solutions at sea and ashore
- Sustainable deterrence based on the rule of law
The work of OBP is founded upon the following principles:
- Transparency: A sustainable solution to piracy will only be attained through transparent information-sharing and the development of a strong evidence base.
- Inclusiveness: Because we believe that the solutions to maritime piracy lie with the stakeholders themselves, OBP actively engages and works alongside key experts and actors from every sector of the maritime community.
- Shared Commitment: Solving piracy is a difficult and arduous process, requiring action by invested stakeholders. OBP remains committed to sharing the burden of seeking long-term, viable solutions to piracy.
- Independence: We believe that OBP serves an important role as an unbiased independent contributor to global counter-piracy efforts. We are privately financed and our financial statements are made public.
OBP believes that the answers to the piracy problem should come from within the community of stakeholders. We work with an extensive - and growing - number of experts to find a solution to piracy. Through meetings and workshops we host, our research and analysis, and our development and encouragement of new cross-sector partnerships, we support the international community in its efforts to bring an end to contemporary maritime piracy.
We welcome feedback. To contact us please click here.